Monday, November 3, 2014

All American Road Trip Part 2 (Church History & Family!)

After our site-seeing marathon on the East, we spent much more time in the car with only a few visits! We went through Kirtland, and so we had to stop! This was my first time in Kirtland, and I was surprised at how very impactful it was to me.

It's amazing to think of the sacrifices of the early saints. Although now owned by another church, I could only imagine what this temple meant to the early saints.

While I was in Kirtland, I was impressed with the beauty and community that the Saints came to establish and love. Then I thought "Why would Heavenly Father ask them to come here, build a temple, and establish this community when he knew they would be driven out? Why couldn't he have told them from the beginning that it wasn't going to last and that they should just immediately head to SLC--why all the moves?"

But then I wondered, "Doesn't he do that with our own lives?" Why does he have us put in hard work to apply to a graduate school, just to learn that we didn't get in and that it isn't right? Couldn't he have told us before, so we wouldn't waste time?" There are so many instances where this happens in our lives. But I think life is like that--full of times where Havenly Father knows it won't "work out" like we think, but for the time being, to keep pursuing and doing what you're doing because it has a purpose: to refine you and to draw you closer to Him. 

 Kirtland was a wonderful, blossoming time for the Saints, where they, unknowingly, were preparing for their journey West and the hardships that they would face. It was a time to build up strength for what lied ahead. I think Heavenly Father gives us "Kirtlands" in our own lives too--places and times of spiritual feasts to prepare us for what's coming next  :)

Our first stop was the Kirtland Temple.


So perfect.


At the Newell K. Whitney Store--my most favorite place in Kirtland. 



The day we visited I wrote an Instagram post that shared exactly how I felt:
 

Kirtland really helped reinforce my testimony and made me think what I would be willing to sacrifice for the gospel. My parents' motto has always been "Whatever the Lord wants, the Lord gets," and I hope to follow in their examples in that!

After our spiritual powerhouse stop in Kirtland, we went to Davenport to visit Ben's brother's family! We had such a great time with them! We miss our Iowan family :)

We met up for a picnic in between Josh's classes. 

Josh and Ben did not plan on wearing almost matching shirts--they are just that brotherly!


We went on a walk by the Mississippi River!


Then we made it to the balloon festival! So much fun! 




This little guy is growing up way too fast~


Magical! After some delicious pancakes the next morning, we were headed home!

We took a rest stop at Winter Quarters. The early Saints endured so much tribulation and showed such faith!


Winter Quarters Temple--the bluest stain glass I've ever seen. So gorgeous.


After all of our wonderful stops, we were headed home the Saturday of General Women's Conference. I kept debating if we should stop somewhere in Nebraska to watch it, or if I should wait to stream it the next day. I finally decided (with some spiritual nudges) it would be good to go. So, somewhere in the middle of Nebraska, I stopped and watched Women's Conference with a bunch of faithful, Nebraskan women. The Spirit was so strong, and I knew I was exactly where I needed to be. In fact, I couldn't keep the tears from flowing. I think it's amazing that I didn't know one soul and yet sitting in that chapel, I felt no fear, just at home. That's what the Gospel of Jesus Christ does; it makes you feel at home when you feel the Spirit. Because that's what matters the most: having that peace and that you're doing what's right.

Our All American Road Trip turned out to be more than seeing amazing historical sties, gorgeous views, or eating delicious meals. It strengthened my testimony that we can do hard things with the Lord on our side, that He leads us to where He wants us to be, even though sometimes it doesn't "make sense," and that those who wait on the Lord are blessed in His own time and in His own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment