Thursday, March 14, 2013

Some Things Don't Go According To Plan

Some Things Don't Go According To Plan


Plan: beautiful double layer snicker-doodle cake for a dinner party with friends

Reality: this was my first double layer cake ever--a snicker-doodle cake; can you tell? That's alright; I couldn't either. I even followed the directions perfectly, at least I thought. The only thing I could do was dollop the cinnamon frosting on the top since I, obviously, couldn't spread it on. I kept thinking--do I take this hideous thing or hide my shame and save my pride? Luckily, I decided that these were the kind of friends who wouldn't "de-friend" us for bringing such a thing. I made another dessert (thank goodness for Carmelitas) so that there would be something that looked edible, and then veiled my snicker-doodle blob with tin foil for just the right moment. I unveiled the blob and lots of laughter ensued. I was surprised that everyone still ate some, and it actually tasted snickerdoodly.  I am so glad that I have friends that I can serve a snicker-doodle blob to and still feel loved :) 

Plan: enjoy the warm weather by walking outside, breathing in the fresh air, and perhaps doing some gardening

Reality: This week is the first week in Utah where the forecast has said it wouldn't feel like winter--like in the balmy sixties--heatwave! Instead of enjoying the glorious weather, I have been stuck inside with some kind of strep throat/cold/fevery thingy. The good thing about this is it has given me an excuse to watch chick flicks, lie down and relax, sleep lots, and it even allowed me to convince Ben to make a smoothie for me--this was a big deal, and it was a really delightful strawberry/banana smoothie! Ben takes good care of me when I am sick.

Plan: Read book after book after book once graduated; always cultivate your literary skills 

Reality: Being an English major and having my Master's in British Lit, you would think I read all the time these days. I am sorry to confess to my English friends that I have let them down; in fact, I have let myself down. I have only read 12 books in the 17 months of being married. How pathetic is that? It's not that I don't like reading anymore! I think that for so long I was assigned to read three hundred to four hundred pages a night (especially in the Master's classes) that I at first wanted a mini-break once it was all over. Then I found Pinterest and this thing called TV, that I had barely watched in six years, and it is oh so fun to watch old Van Dykes and Murder, She Wrote with my husband. Basically, I still loved reading but found some other activities that were easier for five minute breaks and bonding time with Ben. Since being married, I have read fluffy, fun books--mysteries and romances and Wives and Daughters (the only classic I have read since graduating). Good thing I found book club (without that, I may have only read five and missed out on some much needed talks and friends!) Being short on literary funds, I felt like I had nothing to read. Then it occurred to me. There is an invention. It's called the library. I live five minutes away from our local one. Now it's no Harold B. Lee, if you know what I mean.  (I miss the cubicles in that place for some strange reason). So for our FHE activity, Ben and I went to the North Ogden library on Monday night, and I fell in love. You can check out books for free for three weeks (how did I not know this!?) Basically, it's one more reason to love North Ogden. I think finding the library has given me the motivation to, once again, dive into the worlds of written words.

Plan: Read a book about potatoes and Guernsey, a device that sounds like a girdle, for book club

Reality: I found the next book club book The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society while at the library. When I first heard that title, I was a little skeptical. How wrong was I! It was one of the most hilarious, moving, and touching WWII historical fiction books I have ever read, and now I want to visit Guernsey! Basically, this was not a "fluffy" book; this was one that had everything needed to be the compelling novel it is. I am glad my plan fell through on this one! 

I guess the moral of this story is, sometimes having plans fall through is not a bad thing. Tah Dah!

No comments:

Post a Comment