Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Date Week



Two weekends ago Ben and I went to help move my sweet, sweet Grandma into an assisted living facility. This was a huge change, even though she will be less than five minutes away from her home.

One of my most favorite things to do in the world is to go visit my Grandma Jones. Ben and I love to go and visit her. We love hearing her stories of receiving her mission call in the forties, what WWII was like, how she met my Grandpa, etc. even if it means we have heard it already because her memory is fading.



Grandma loves live music in her house, and so she often encourages us to sing. Ben and I have had many spiritual experiences going over and singing hymns to her. I love singing for my grandma. She is my favorite audience. She gets so excited to hear songs from the forties and fifties (some of my favorites to sing). No one appreciates hearing me sing Judy Garland, Doris Day, or songs from Showboat more than Grandma. Words cannot express how much I have learned from getting to know her better. I honestly think one of the reasons I needed to go to Weber State was to reconnect with my relatives who live near Ogden and, in particular, my dear Grandma Jones.

We will miss seeing the cow in my Grandma's family room and playing on her old, old piano (when my Grandpa retired from being a banker and moved from Michigan to Utah to pursue his love of dairy-farming, his co-workers gave him this huge life-sized, stuffed cow that has been in her family room ever since). We are excited to visit my grandma in her assisted living home as much as time permits. We love being with her!


 When we moved Grandma, we got to spend time with relatives who live out of town, and I got to play with their darling children!

Sunday night we had my relatives over from Alaska and Georgia and had so much fun reuniting with them! Last Monday night we had my parents stay over and had an Italian dinner and an FHE together. It was so nice to have them here. I love having family come and visit!

Last week became un-official date week :) Ben and I went to the Brigham City Temple Tuesday night; mutual was cancelled Wednesday so we had a fun Martinelli/movie night; Thursday
Ben and I were able to receive some tickets to see the Utah Symphony perform Les Miserables songs with past Les Mis singers. I was in heaven hearing them all sing; I left proclaiming that I want to be on Broadway and sung Les Mis the whole way home (poor Ben). I get that passion for being on Broadway every time after I see a performance, and then the reality hits me--I have never acted before, and my voice could use lots of work...



 Friday night Ben and I had a Harry Potter night--I didn't realize how much I like these movies until recently....Saturday was filled with more date fun as we left early to go to Provo, stopped on the way to visit my dear friends Rachel and Adam and their sweet three children (I can't believe the last time I saw them was our wedding day!) Rachel was my roommate in college Sophomore and Junior year, and we had so much fun together. I have loved watching her family grow!




We then met up with a couple from our ward to go to the BYU Rugby game, and had a blast! BYU won 91-3 against Utah State--I almost felt sorry for USU...almost. Afterwards, met with Sam and Natalie in Provo and walked around campus until we went and got some delicious ice-cream from the Creamery and then walked/galloped back to their cute home! We had too much fun last week. I loved it! I wish every night was date night! :)




1 comment:

  1. That looks like it was enjoyable, I wish I could have been there. Does grandma seem to like the new place?

    ReplyDelete