Friday, October 25, 2013

Tender Mercies


I have been MIA from the blogging world lately, and I have missed it, but I have loved where I have been in the meanwhile.

To start off, Ben has an amazing brother named Josh who has been living in Iowa with his wife, Kristen, and son Tate while going to Chiropractic school there. Kristen was due with baby Ian October 13th (who has since entered this world, and I love my little second nephew already). A month ago today, Josh woke up with chest pains and was unable to communicate. They discovered that his brain was bleeding, and so they life-flighted him to the University of Iowa hospital where they performed brain surgery. Somewhere in that process, they found a tennis ball sized tumor in his brain. We later learned that the tumor is cancerous, but Josh is ready to fight it! (He has started radiation and chemo this week.) The next week was filled with many tender mercies in Josh's recovery from surgery. Josh is such an example to us all. He mainly talked about two things that week in the ICU: his family and how they were doing through all of this and The Book of Mormon. It was neat to see that the inner core of Josh was filled with pure goodness; his only concern was his family and his faith. 

Because the hospital was an hour from where Josh and Kristen lived, Tate had been staying with one of Kristen's amazing friends for a week. We all wanted to help but didn't know how to from so far away. One morning I woke up with the impression that I needed to go out there and help watch little Tate before the baby came. About twenty four hours later, I had a ticket and was on a plane. I am pretty sure I didn't help hardly at all (why yes, I would be the one that changed his diaper backwards--twice), but the tender mercies I saw every day there have blessed my life. Josh was able to come home the day after I arrived. It was so neat to be at their home and watch how much amazing progress he made every single day! Josh kept saying how blessed he is to have so many amazing family and friends. Even in the midst of great difficulty, Josh's heart was filled with gratitude. I saw so many friends and ward members show so much love and service during this time! It was absolutely amazing. Heavenly Father is aware of each of us, no matter what befalls us and where we are. Josh and Kristen are so strong through it all and are inspiring people every step of the way! I loved every minute of being with Tate, and it was hard to leave him. I miss my little buddy. 




Josh and Kristen in the hospital! 




Josh's mom flew out and has been there through it all! 


The first day back--Josh and Tate watching Mickey Mouse! 


He loved the balloons people brought over!


The sweetest face!



Tate loves feeding people Cheerios--even daddy! 




The day after I left little Ian was born. My second nephew--and Josh was able to be in the hospital for that: another complete miracle! 

For those who want updates on Josh as this journey continues, helpforjosh.org documents his progress! Please keep them in your prayers! We love you, Josh, Kristen, Tate, and Ian!  

3 comments:

  1. Loved your post Katie...as always. Josh and his family are in our daily prayers. Such a sweet, sweet family. So happy little Ian made it safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Katie what an amazing story! So sad that this little family has to go through this incredibly difficult trial. I am not surprised at all to hear that you flew out there to help in their time of need. That is just the kind of person you are. You are such an example to me. Love you Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh and Kristen really are an inspiration through this! (PS-Tate and Ian are so cute!)

    ReplyDelete