Saturday, March 17, 2012

New Victories



This, my friends, is a miracle.

I have been experimenting with yeast for the last few months, making bread sticks and rolls, and to my dismay, each time the dough is supposed to double in size, mine increases by 1/8th. Today I decided that even though I wanted to master yeast on other bread products before attempting homemade bread, I could not wait any longer. So when I saw that my dough doubled every time it was supposed to, my heart leaped. I have had a few proud moments in my life, graduating from college, teaching high schoolers successfully, but THIS moment has made me proud of this:



This with homemade honey butter was heavenly. This was a small victory, and it felt different than getting an A on a paper after many A-'s, but I liked it.

On another note, this was my first sign of spring:



This made me happy and panic simultaneously. Ben and I have a yard + I have never been in charge of taking care of a yard = me scared. So my sweet visiting teacher, who used to live in our home, came and gave me a tour of the yard and what I need to do to prepare it for spring. I did my first hour of yard work in our yard today: it was more fulfilling then I thought it would be--weird how maintaining a home can be that way. Along the way, I discovered these small treasures in the front:





I have a feeling this is going to be a new but exciting learning experience for me.

Also, we are getting a new sister three weeks from today--exciting! Leslie Ricks will become Leslie Connors, and I got to go on a road trip (by myself) to Idaho to her bridal shower. Another small conquering of driving through fields and farm lands by myself for over five hours in one day. It was worth it! Yay for another sister!





Last but not least, Ben got his new iPad yesterday at seven in the morning with his dad. He loves technology more than anyone I know--and I reap the benefits! I have been hearing about this monumental occasion for a while now, so late Merry Christmas, Ben! He is bequeathing me his old iPad, which I have no idea how to work, so here's for more new learning :)Even though the knowledge I have acquired in the last few months has been totally different than the learning I was used to for multiple schooling and educational work years, I have found it surprisingly exciting, and although life is a slower pace, joy in the journey still is found.

2 comments:

  1. Your bread looks beautiful! Heather helped me make bread for the first time a few months ago. I took pictures of the finished product too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie I didn't know you had a blog! I am so impressed with your loaves of bread! I will stop by often, hope you are well, looks like your really happy:) xoxo

    ReplyDelete