Friday, March 9, 2012

Curly Karma



I one time received this comic from a co-worker. How true it is!



I have just spent over an hour having this straightener on my hair. Yes, that says 404. That's degrees, Fahrenheit. That's the same temperature I bake my baked potatoes, transforming hard brown rocks to mushy goodness. This is one hundred degrees hotter than it took to bake my first cheesecake, caramel peanut butter swirl (shown below), this week. My hair gets so hot that it burns to touch it!! Oh, the sacrifices.



Sometimes I wonder. . . why couldn't I have been born in the Victorian Era or the 80s? This hair could have been accepted by humanity!





Instead, I grew up in "the straighter the better" mentality, which is great and all, but I never have had the time to have an hour and a half a few times a week to straighten my hair.

I remember when I was fourteen and my friends straightened my hair for the first time at GIRLS CAMP! It took four and a half hours (this was back in the day with straighteners didn't get as hot as your oven). Even after all that, it was still frizzy straight. I remember the second time when my friends and I watched Princess Diaries (fitting) when I was fifteen and we blew out three circuits in my house because they were using so many blow driers and straighteners. I remember the third time, a few months after that, when my friend IRONED, with a real iron, my hair on the carpet, which melted. Oh hair, you have gone through so much turmoil, just to fit in.

Remember my wedding day, hair? Remember how you looked when the stylist came?

Exhibit A:


Remember what you looked like when I came out of the temple, three hours after you got done?

Exhibit B:


Where did the curl go from Exhibit A? Maybe I am biased, but I think curly haired people should have EXCLUSIVE rights to have their hair hold curl when curled. Seriously. The injustice found in this world.

Other curly haired injustices are included here:

1. When I straighten my hair, the straightener turns off multiple times because it thinks to itself, "This is so dangerous. There is no way I can actually be used for this long; I shut off after twenty minutes, and you have to re-start me if you really want to dare using me longer."

2. When I straighten my hair, it rains or snows; thus, all my hard work flattens and frizzes with a few droplets. When I straighten my hair, I receive comments like "Your hair looks SO much better straight!" I say "thanks!" and think, "I wonder what they think of me the other 95 percent of the time with the curls? Why can't I have time to do this more often?"

3. Then I start thinking should I chemically straighten my hair? I realize I look like I fit in more with it straight, and I do like it straight; however, from the time I was a little girl, curls have been a part of my identity. I was the one called Curly Sue growing up. People look for me in crowds by looking for the curls. How would people find me otherwise? Most of the time people associate curls with a crazy personality; I don't think that's me, but I do think curls can have a classic elegance to them (although mine rarely find that), and that's what I try to go for. I guess the bottom line is--curls have become part of me. Even though my hair is stubborn, I have tried to embrace it, and although I straighten it sometimes for a different look, I will always picture me, the real me, with the curls--an appendage of me.

4 comments:

  1. Katie, that was fun to read!! You make me smile! I love your curls and I love your hair straight! It doesn't matter to me what you do with your hair because it is you we love and adore! I love reading your blog and keeping in touch with your world! Thanks for the smile this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,
    Curls are beautiful! You don't need to change yours. I like you the way you are! I do however feel and understand your curly hair woes. You know what they say, "If you can't beat em, join em". Embrace the curls. You're are wonderful. Love you. your curly haired friend,

    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally relate to this. I used to have my hair straight ar least four days a week--I feel prettier when it's straight. Luckily, I married a man who LOVES my curly hair, so I no longer feel the need to burn the heck out of it. Now I love my guilt-free five minute hairstyle.

    ReplyDelete