Friday, April 20, 2012

April 20



Today is my best friend's birthday!!!! Today, Ben turns 28! I am so proud to call him my husband :) This is my first time being with him on his birthday as last year at this time, I hadn't met him yet (think Michael Buble because I am pretty sure I really liked that song around this time last year). I am so grateful Ben entered my life when he did. In fact, a year ago today, I received my endowments in the Draper Temple--not knowing I would meet my future husband a month later or that it was his birthday.

Even though it's funny to think I could have waited a few months longer to go through with Ben, I think it was the perfect time for me. A year ago today, I was going through the temple, and the day after, I was graduating with my Master's Degree in English the next day, knew I needed to complete student teaching for a teaching certificate so would be in Ogden for a few more months, and then it was "Who Knows?"



It is scary to graduate with a masters degree as an unmarried girl, and thinking, "When will I ever find him after going into the working world?" I thought of moving back to Provo in an area where older young single adults were, or perhaps Washington D.C. where there were some strong LDS members. There were so many unknowns and being able to go to the temple provided much comfort.





Even though it didn't happen the way I anticipated, my family, aunts, uncles, a cousin, Kelsi, Sheree, Erica, Russ, and my bishopric from my singles ward and their wives had driven all the way to the Draper Temple to be there for me that day. I felt so special knowing that I was going into the "unknown" with so much love and support. Last spring term, I worked twenty hours a week so I had time to go to the Bountiful Temple weekly for a few months and was able to learn so much--that was a blessing. It's hard to believe that that was a year ago today. My husband's birthday! Sometimes Heavenly Father has us wait for the perfect timing (even if it seems last minute to us).

Enough about me, Ben's the birthday boy! So that was my life one year ago today. Then enter: Ben Browning.

He inspires me to be a better person in more ways than I thought possible. He did so from when I first met him. He was definitely worth the wait! I love my Ben!

Here's 28 things you may not know about him:

1. His family has two llamas!
2. He loves playing soccer, and has played most of his life.
3. He has an amazing voice (I keep telling him not to hide his light under a bushel :)
4. He is amazing with kids! Our next door neighbors have four children who run out when they see him and want to play with him for hours.
5. He was an EFY counselor for 5 years and loved it!
6. He played ultimate frisbee, inter-tube water polo, and soccer on Intramural teams at BYU.
7. He loves Brazilian grills.
8. He doesn't like desserts as much, but he loves candies.
9. Ben LOVES budgeting, which I love that he does :)
10. He graduated in Business: Finance from BYU in 08 (the year before I did).
11. He speaks Portugese and Spanish.
12. He loves the hero-type movies like Captain America, Thor, etc.
13. As mentioned previously, he loves new technology and utilizes all of it.
14. He is amazing at Excel, and his work loves him for it!
15. In high school, he was the president of and participated in many clubs and organizations.
16. He is the newest (and probably youngest) member of Rotary Club, representing the bank.
17. He served his mission in Sau Paulo Brazil.
18. He has been to England, China, Hawaii, Brazil, D.C., and many other fun places :) throughout his life.
19. He knows his grammar very well, which I appreciate.
20. He loves Ogden! He went to Ogden High School and has a great love for the history and community surrounding Ogden.
21. He gives amazing Family Home Evening lessons!
22. He likes to mow the lawn (phew).
23. Ben is always thinking of others before himself.
24. He loves looking at the newest and greatest cars.
25. He can find you an app for just about anything.
26. He built a twine hut with his brothers in their yard when he was young.
27. Ben was involved in a community singing group from elementary to high school (hence lots of his travels).
28. Ben has the heart to eat my cooking!

Happy Birthday, Ben!

2 comments:

  1. Katie, I love reading your blog because it is so fun for me to see you and Ben enjoying life together. Everytime I see your pics i always think of how weird it is that 5 years ago I technically could have introduced the two of you to eachother...it's amazing how true it is that timing is everything! :) HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO BEN! I hope you guys have a wonderful day celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Megan! It's so crazy to think that you and Ben were friends for so long! Oh well, timing happens in the Lord's mysterious ways sometimes :) I am going to have to look at your blog, now that I see you have one :) yay!

    ReplyDelete