Thursday, February 20, 2014

a LOVEly Surprise

Since the beginning of January, I have been scheming about what I should do for Valentine's Day...I wanted to surprise Ben--something I rarely do. I am one of those people who have a really hard time keeping surprises; I usually hold them in for a few days and then spill the beans because I can't take the anticipation anymore.

Our stake usually has a Valentine's Dinner/Dance, which I love because, since being married, I never get to dance anymore. Ben loves the dinner part to that night, but last year he, what's the word, *despised* the dancing part; he's not a fan--what a typical guy ;) I had told Ben that we would be going to that and then afterwards we would be making a music video with ward friends (sorry, ward friends, I totally lied about you, but it was out of love, promise). To say the least, Ben was dreading Valentine's night, especially after I told him this "music video" would end up on YouTube. But he knew it was my year to plan so he tried to grumble about it as little as possible (that's true love, right there!). 

Unsuspecting Ben woke up Friday morning to a scavenger hunt throughout the house, leading him to this:


The first words out of his mouth were, "Does that mean we won't have to dance and be in a music video on YouTube?" After I assured him, that we were most definitely not doing that and that we were, in fact, going to a hotel for the night, I told him to pack his bags for a night away! He was stunned that I had managed to keep a surprise from him and tried to get me to tell him where we were going. He'd find out...eventually. 

Ben went to work, and I planned and prepped our adventures! In the meanwhile, my parents delivered these beautiful strawberries; they are so thoughtful: 


When Ben finished work, I picked him up and started driving...literally two blocks away from where he works at the old Hampton Inn & Suites. I had found an amazing (and I mean, really amazing) deal for a suite two months ago. I thought it would be fun to have a vacation in our own home "neighborhood;" that way, we wouldn't feel any pressures from sight seeing. 


 We had a fun night eating pizza in our room and watching videos while just relaxing, which was a welcome relief after Ben's grueling school, work, and church load and after him being sick earlier that week.




We even had a view of the almost finished Ogden Temple out of our window! The next morning I had more surprises for him. We went to the Clark Planetarium--a place that would be even more fun if you brought kids, definitely a hands-on kind of place. Ben did squeeze in to make a tornado.


The last surprise of the weekend was dining at The Melting Pot. I had looked up prices beforehand and decided if we just got the cheese and dessert fondue, we would have a much better price and still eat deliciousness. Ben and I decided the cheese fondue was good but nothing you couldn't make at home. 



But....the chocolate fondue. There are no words. It was that good. If we ever go again, we will just get the dessert. They have a million dippers, as evidenced, and the ambiance of the whole experience screams romantic. 


It was a perfectly fun and relaxing Valentine's Day, and, surprise, I kept a surprise from Ben! 

1 comment: