Saturday, March 15, 2014

London Lists

I was "rummaging" through my files the other day and stumbled across this forgotten list: 


My Favorite Things To Do in England

Favorite Intellectual Spot
· The British Library (my most favorite thing I did in London in this regard--Handel’s "Messiah," Dickens, Wordsworth, Bronte manuscripts)
Favorite Places to Eat
· Nandos--Portuguese Restaurant--delicious pitas!
· The Waffle House--best waffle recipes in the world
· A lot of pubs have delicious food ☺ but be careful where you go...
· Pret--chicken salad sandwiches and croissants! 
· Tesco--amazing bakery aisle
Favorite Beautiful Spots
· White Cliffs of Dover
· Countryside of Kent
· A lot of the historic spots were my favorite beautiful spots...
· Cambridge University 
· Hampton Court--beautiful gardens
Favorite Historic Spots:
· Tower of London--funny guards--the key to London’s history
· Osborne House--Where Queen Victoria & Albert lived for a time. It was one of my most favorite places on the Isle of Wight (have to take ferry to get to it)
· Cambridge (again--absolutely stunning)
· Fountains Abby (amazing ruins, absolutely beautiful)
· Warwick Castle--tons of neat interactive activities and beautiful
· Wallace Collection--amazing Paintings--Rococo
· Definitely favorite art museum--The Tate Britain--beautiful Romantic style paintings such as The Lady of Shallot
· The British Museum, Victoria and Albert,  Imperial War Museum (very impacting)
· Stratford-Upon-Avon
Favorite Must Dos:
· Walking along the Thames at night (either by the Millennial Bridge by St. Paul’s at night (a little more dangerous though) or Parliament at night with Big Ben and the London Eye--definitely a favorite thing to do)
· Musicals obviously--Les Mis, especially
· Going to Harrods--such a neat experience
· Going punting (boat rides--these are at Cambridge etc.)
· St. Martins-in the field for concerts (classical


 I am so glad that I wrote this list down because I had already forgotten some of my favorites. Reading this list makes me want to go back. Let me rewind, in 2007 I went on a Study Abroad to London through BYU and was able to live in London for two months, and I loved it. In fact, love is too insufficient a word. I adored it. I relished it. I know I made that list for myself as a future "guide" if I ever go back (oh, how I long to go back!), but I decided to make a list of what I remember most now, seven years later. Wait, seven!? It can't be seven! Did I do the math wrong? That's insane. It feels like yesterday. 


~I made some dear life-long friends. We even had our last names make an acronym: COSMOS. We had too much fun together. Oh such dear memories! These friends helped sustain me through, although a joyful, a very difficult time as my dad had been diagnosed with a grave cancer five days before we left, and I was very worried. They helped me through my occasional emotional-ness :) They are some of the best girls I have ever met, and each of their examples had a great impact on my life. 



~I loved the feeling of belonging I had in England. I have always had this unearthly connection with Great Britain; when I learn about it, I feel like it is part of my identity. It's hard to explain. Maybe it's because of my heritage. Maybe it's because of my love of British literature. Or maybe it's just because I love the rain, history, and delicious food. They love bread. I love bread. It totally works out. 

~I loved that Study Abroad gave us the opportunity to participate in the wards there. They divided us all into groups and spread us throughout wards surrounding London. I can't remember exactly how long but I know that it took at least an hour to get to our church, and my group rode the tube, a train, and then walked to get there. It was so worth it. The members were diverse and had so much faith. We even had the opportunity to be given assignments there to help out.
~Speaking of diverse, that was the thing that most shocked me when I arrived in London. I had read too many Victorian novels. It was not filled with a bunch of white gentlemen with top hats and proper ladies. The streets of London are some of the most diverse I have been on. There were many Indians, Africans, etc. that gave London a very international flavor. Yet somehow, simultaneously, London feels very British. 
~I loved that my homework was to go to plays, museums, ballets, etc., of course, we had real homework too, but I loved being able to apply what I was learning Humanities (my minor) to real life. 
~The musicals, ballet, and plays are events I will never forget as long as I live. They were as good as they come. I discovered a love of Shakespeare when watching Shakespeare plays: The Merchant of Venice at The Globe, Macbeth in Regent's Park, and King Lear in Stratford-Upon-Avon (Shakespeare's birth place).
~I loved riding the tube! It was such an efficient way to get around. That doesn't mean we never got lost or missed a stop, but once you get the hang of it, it's hard to imagine life without it. I miss the reminders, "Please mind the gap between the train and the platform." 



After two months of living there, there was still so much I had to leave unseen. I  could write hundreds of pages about why I love London, but Samuel Johnson says it best, "Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." Yes, Samuel Johnson, you couldn't have said that any better. 

Doing our nightly Parliament walk. 


At Hampton Court


At Edinburgh Castle





In Ireland!


Our whole Study Abroad group lived here. I loved this place so much. What's even more special is my mom did Study Abroad through BYU and lived in this exact building twentyish years before. 


Everyone wrote their favorite things to do on the bunk bed. I spy Courtney & Katie's entry! 


Sharing a bedroom with twelve girls is one of the most exciting things ever! 


At tea! (We just had scones :) 

5 comments:

  1. The first couple years after I got married, I had an ache to return to England--but to live. It bit me again as Jay finished up his schooling, and I remember praying and saying, "If I can't have a baby right now, then let me find a way to move to England." I looked into it, and it is not easy for a dentist to get a license over there (incidentally, I got pregnant shortly after that, so I took that as a "no England for you" sign).

    I still miss it desperately, and this may sound funny, but I'm afraid to go back because a brief visit (even if it's a week!) just isn't long enough to see everything. I loved that we could leisurely see what we wanted, when we wanted, and that we could take take jogs in Hyde Park and find a peaceful place to eat or read or dream without feeling like we were "missing" anything.

    Miss you, Katie! I hope you are well. I loved sharing those two months with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, this brought back so many amazing memories! This was hands down one of the best experiences of my entire life, I will always be so grateful I got this opportunity and got to meet you (and Sara, Linds, Melissa, and Shauna). Every single day was magical and incredible- and I agree with Linds- it was amazing to be able to just soak it all in, just reading and jogging in Hyde park, going to the National Gallery every week for homework, and our charming late night walks around the city. We were so lucky!

    I miss you too Katie! And I only live a half hour from you! We need to get together soon! Please call me- we can catch up on life! (801-882-8823)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun to read Katie! It makes me so nostalgic for all the good times there. I loved seeing the pictures I haven't looked at in ages and reading all your memories. What's even more fun is that most of those things I was right there with you and we got to build a friendship there! I agree it is hard to believe it was seven years ago that we were all there. Now all of COSMOS is married and spread across the country. Still, after all the memories in England I feel like that's a friendship that never changes, even though it's rare we see one another! Also, I just love reading your blog in general. It's so fun to keep up with what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, this was fun to read. It brought back great memories. You, Courtney, Lindsay, Sara, and Shauna were the best roommates ever! I wish we could all go back and do it again. I've never had so much fun in so short a time. I miss you and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to be the last to respond because I got to read everyone else's... :) i think it is pretty funny how we had to travel half-way around the world to really meet each other and that without two Ott girls...there wouldn't have been any vowels... Now our acronym would've been yucky: NSDMBH. Good thing we went whilst being single. I'm thinking that we should have a reunion in about 25 years IN England...I'll start saving now.

    ReplyDelete