Sunday, March 16, 2014

Why I Believe in Christ


 With a blog filled with memories, families, my favorite foods, my likes and dislikes, I cannot not talk about what makes me who I am: my faith. My faith all stems from my belief in Christ. 


I know Christ lived. I was brought up in a home where I was taught stories of Christ from the Bible. I learned how he served his fellow men, how he taught his disciples to "feed my sheep," how he raised Lazarus and others from the dead, how he forgave and, finally, how he atoned for my sins. Some might say that believing in Christ is like believing in a fairy tale--too good to be true and with no factual evidence. How could someone really take upon themselves the sins, pains, and agony of all mankind and feel all of that? I don't know how. But I know it happened. What would the purpose of life be without Christ? For me, that would mean that I would never be able to return to my Father in Heaven; I would never feel completely clean after wrongs I had committed; there would be no eternal perspective. I know Christ's life and mission on earth was real. He truly did walk in Jersualem, He bled at Golgatha, and He prayed in the Garden. How do I know? Have I seen the scientific proof? No, honestly, I haven't. But I have felt the warmth and truth of Christ's life as I have read the New Testament. I read fairy tales all the time that do not leave me with that same feeling: His story is real.  I have seen His example change lives. Although seemingly unexplainable, I believe that He distributed five loaves and two fishes to thousands. He is what makes the impossible, possible. His example has touched lives everywhere. He was the epitome of selflessness, the only perfect person to walk this earth.

I know Christ lives. I know Christ died for my sins on the cross, but I also know that He continues to live. I believe He is concerned about the choices I make on this day-to--day earth life. I know that He wants to lead and guide each of us to happiness.

This song, "I Believe in Christ," sums up my belief in Christ, more eloquently than I could ever pen.



  1. I believe in Christ; he is my King!
    With all my heart to him I'll sing;
    I'll raise my voice in praise and joy,
    In grand amens my tongue employ.
    I believe in Christ; he is God's Son.
    On earth to dwell his soul did come.
    He healed the sick; the dead he raised.
    Good works were his; his name be praised.
    2. I believe in Christ; oh blessed name!
    As Mary's Son he came to reign
    'Mid mortal men, his earthly kin,
    To save them from the woes of sin.
    I believe in Christ, who marked the path,
    Who did gain all his Father hath,
    Who said to men: "Come, follow me,
    That ye, my friends, with God may be."
    3. I believe in Christ--my Lord, my God!
    My feet he plants on gospel sod.
    I'll worship him with all my might;
    He is the source of truth and light.
    I believe in Christ; he ransoms me.
    From Satan's grasp he sets me free,
    And I shall live with joy and love
    In his eternal courts above.
    4. I believe in Christ; he stands supreme!
    From him I'll gain my fondest dream;
    And while I strive through grief and pain,
    His voice is heard: "Ye shall obtain."
    I believe in Christ; so come what may,
    With him I'll stand in that great day
    When on this earth he comes again
    To rule among the sons of men.

1 comment: