Sunday, January 29, 2012

From Roommates to Roommate: What's Stability?

Amy
Rachel (X2)
Annie
Carrie (X2)
Jamie
Lindsay
Sara
Melissa
Shauna
Courtney
Erica
Charlotte
Caitlin
Anneli
Jen
Skye
Heather
Lindsey
Jolyn
Bre
Becky
Melody
Mikelle
Annie
Christine
Lindsey (G.)
Melody (C.)
Natalie
Chloe
Tayler
Pattie
Kelsi
Hannah
Kim
Ashlee
Sariah

This is a list of all the girls who had to put up with being my roommate in the last six years. My life has gone from adjusting to living with 36 different people at different times to ONE!

Let me tell you, it's been a change. There are so many things I have loved about it: the free reign of the kitchen, cleanliness, not being kicked out of the family room for boyfriends etc. This does not discount that I loved many of my roommate experiences. I had wonderful friendships, talks, and pure good times with so many roommates, but the constant change and transition from going from one to the next made it so I could never get too comfortable.

Is it possible that stability kind of scares me? No, not the stability of Ben--that comforts me a great deal. It is the stability that comes from buying our house in North Ogden. This implies we may be here for a while. You are talking to someone who hasn't lived somewhere for longer than a year and four months since she was fifteen years old (that's nine years of change). I have had all of my things in portable boxes and bins so at any moment I can move conveniently. I am at the point where I am more used to change than consistency. Then, I think of the things in my life that have been consistent through all of the change: the love of my family and the gospel. These things have been constant, and really, they are the only things that matter. This gospel is what is constant. The truthfulness of the PLAN of Happiness helps console me at all times no matter where I am. I guess it's time to settle down, :) and although it somewhat scares me, it also makes me feel excited to have a HOME. I have lived in many "dwellings" over the past few years, but they were never truly home. I am so blessed to finally have a home, a place where my heart can settle for a while. So, here's to the newest change in my life: stability. I am ready for this challenge :)

3 comments:

  1. Katie- you were one of the best roommates ever! You were always so sweet and considerate. Haha, ya married life is a lot more stable, isn't it? No more of the 'new roommates and a new apartment every year' thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, by the way, when Tyler found out your new last name was Browning, he said "Oh that is perfect since she loves literature." I think he was thinking of the poet Robert Browning :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Katie, I just loved being your roommate! And I'm so glad that you have such wonderful stability ahead of you. It's so funny to me that this is the first time that I've lived in one place for longer than a year (and now we're getting ready to move with the baby coming). I love knowing that all the stuff in my apartment is mine, that I never have to coordinate roommate-ness again. Your home looks so wonderful, and I'm just so happy that you're happy!

    ReplyDelete