Monday, February 6, 2012

A Baker's Dozen: Part 1



1. This is my favorite room in the house so far. Almost anyone nearby will tell you I have been on a baking/cooking phase, especially my husband. I have LOVED the liberty of having my own kitchen, kitchen aid, cupboard space, nice new kitchen supplies, and all those fun things that seem so precious compared to the limited space/cheap kitchen supplies of apartment, roommate dwelling accommodations. I have been baking many (too many) goodies lately, experimenting with pinterest/new cookbook recipes. Some favorites so far are soft sugar cookies, chocolate chip cheesecake cookies, caramel cheesecake, apple doughnuts (thanks Charlotte!), and oreo mud pie. I will have to post some recipes soon! The trouble with baking is. . . I, as the baker, feel entitled to make sure my recipes are not poisonous throughout the process, meaning I test-taste dough, right out of the oven goodness, an hour later (as it's still cooling), and a day later. I try all stages of the baked product, multiple times. This means LOTS of sugar in me, which means clothes are not fitting the way they used to--so tragic! Here I am, trying to sharpen my baking knowledge, and I am suffering the consequences. Although my husband loves my food, he is more disciplined in eating only one to two cookies a day. Therefore, as I am working from home. . . temptation surrounds me! I have decided that I can now only bake ONE thing a week unless I am giving/taking it somewhere. However, I have been experimenting cooking multiple fun dinners, which is less lethal for me. Some favorites are potato/broccoli/cheese soup, chicken divan, stir fry, tortilla soup, and many other chicken recipes (different variations)-- will post some recipes later. Here are some other things baking in my life:



2. Ben moved floors at work (his job is completely the same, but he's now on the first floor, and I think his new office is pretty snazzy looking. Plus, now I can visit him a little more easily if wanted; with how busy he is, I doubt I would get more than a three second visit :) He leaves at 7, takes no lunch break, and comes home at 6:00/6:30 lately. Good thing--he LOVES his job! :)

3. After Ben gets home from work, we sometimes watch The Cosby Show on Netflix to relax. That is, until it got taken off Netflix last week: TRAGEDY! Oh well, on to the Dick Van Dyke show. I know what you're thinking--The Cosby Show, really? Who does that?



4. My dear, dear friend, Kelsi is ENGAGED to an amazing man! Kelsi and I have been through a lot together up here in the Ogden area, and I am so grateful she found her prince, even though she will be moving to Wisconsin for his last two years of dental school :(



5. My dad just had his other hip replaced. He has had both his hips replaced, both his shoulders replaced, and has more energy than almost anyone I know on a daily basis. He is amazing!

6. We've had lots of fun recently getting together with good friends, going to a surprise birthday bash (that was awesome, Camille!), and having fun with Ben's side of the family :) We are so lucky to have such amazing people in our lives!

To Be Continued. . .

2 comments:

  1. We started the Dick Van Dyke show when we first got married and love it. We are now on season 4 :) It just never gets old :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so cute! Love that you love cooking so much. You can try out anything on US!:) I need to learn...

    So glad you guys came to the party!!

    ReplyDelete