Monday, February 13, 2012

A True Valentine


When I think about Valentines Day, I think about my grandpa. I always have. After all, it was his birthday, and everyone who knew him, knows that he emulated LOVE in every way. Even his motto was "Live together in Love."

Last night, my extended Jones family got together and honored Edwin Boyd Jones for what would have been his 95th birthday. He passed away when I was ten, but he has made an impact in my life, nonetheless. We think of him often because his legacy was one that leaves people inspired and wanting to be better. It was so neat to be surrounded by cousins and their new additions to the family (almost). I think Grandpa would be proud of so many of the wonderful grandchildren (my cousins) that are doing so much with their lives.

My grandma tells the story over and over again of the ONLY time my grandpa ever got mad at her. ONLY. He came home from a church meeting, went to the freezer to get ice cream, returned, and said to Grandma in a stern voice "Mildred, it is absolutely unacceptable that we have no ice cream in this house. We should always have ice cream." (This is where I get my love of ice cream from--I am just carrying on tradition :)

I have had the privilege of transcribing many of his World War II journals. In so many of them, he talks about reading The Bible and The Book of Mormon. He always kept the faith. He was constantly serving at home and in the church as a sealer, patriarch, temple president, and regional representative. His example shows that life-long service in the church brings much happiness.

Here are some remarks from my Grandpa's 1978 journal about love:
"Being drawn together by service we should understand the family as no other people do. I gave it and give it and gave it until it was mine. Live as if each day is the last day of our lives and one day we’ll be right.
Winning in love is a good accomplishment. Rewinning it day by day is rebuilding, and rebuilding is creating a dominion that has at its base the essence of Heaven. The deepest tenderness a woman can show a man is to help him do his duty. Be good to her and treat her like a queen."

On top of all that, my grandpa had great hair although I don't think he would ever consciously think that :) Mitt Romney patterns his hair after my grandpa Here's a quote from the Boston Globe "Mitt and Ann agreed to wait three months to walk down the aisle. The wedding was held in two parts. On March 21, 1969, exactly four years after their first conversation, Mitt, then 22, and Ann, 19, exchanged rings in a civil ceremony in her parents' home. It was officiated by church Elder Edwin Jones, the man after whom teenage Mitt had patterned his hairstyle."

I happened to find his obituary, here: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/650792/Death--Edwin-Boyd-Jones.html Although it talks about many of his accomplishments, his faith and love are remembered best.

I always wanted to marry someone like Grandpa Jones. When I was little, I chose a star and called it Grandpa's star, and I would talk to it, pretending he was listening to every word or maybe I wasn't pretending. Because I live close to the cemetery where he is buried, I am able to go and visit his grave site, which has a very special spirit. However, now I get to go with an eternal companion who follows Grandpa's example in ways I never thought possible and does exactly what Grandpa said, "be good to her and treat her like a queen." Thank you, Grandpa, for helping me choose my Valentine.

No comments:

Post a Comment