Tuesday, May 8, 2012

BYU Date


This Saturday Ben and I went on a BYU date. (This is totally my idea--Ben is way more practical than I am :). Because we both went to BYU and loved it but never met there, I thought it would be fun to walk around and see all the places we lived, studied, had classes, and basically just pretend for a day that we were BYU students who had found each other before graduating :)

When Ben and I arrived, we walked straight to the Wilk--the headquarters of BYU (not really but seriously that place was central to almost every student's existence). It was fun to see all the little (and big) changes around campus. We walked through many of the old buildings we had classes in just to reminisce. We made a visit to the library where I showed Ben where I worked, and we showed each other where we studied. He studied on the first floor, and I studied on the fourth floor--no wonder we never met! About forty minutes into our extravaganza, I became embarrassed at how out of shape I was. Seriously. Walking around that hilly campus with all those stairs with a twenty pound back pack is not a common occurrence in my life anymore ( although I had to do similar walking while at Weber). No wonder I used to be able to have a bigger appetite--I walked probably two hours a day: fast, with that heavy back pack, and up flights of treacherous stairs. I have missed the beauty and spirit of that campus, and it brought back many memories.

We had a delicious lunch with my newly married friend Sheree and her husband Bryce. I am so glad I got to see them before they move to the south! Sheree was such a good friend throughout BYU. She left after my junior year to go on her mission, and I missed her dreadfully. I am excited to hear about their new adventure even if it means I get to talk to her on the phone rather than see her in person!

Sheree and I walking from DT

Ben and I then went and showed each other where we lived. We both lived in DT (dorms) that have since been torn down and have been replaced with mansion looking dorms; too bad the current residents missed out on cinder block walls, poor lighting, teeny rooms, old bathrooms, and everything else that was from the 60s. We then doubled with Ben's brother, Sam and his date at the creamery: so fun! Love them! After having our date at BYU, it made me remember how much I love that place and why it holds a special place in my heart. I believe that everyone has a place or places they are supposed to be or would work best for them, and for me, BYU was it during those four learning years. This is not to say that my BYU journey was all cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment