Monday, May 21, 2012

Happy Victoria Day!!!

You're about to embark on perhaps the nerdiest blog post in blog history...

Yes, it's true! It's Victoria Day!!

In fact, I didn't know there was such a thing until this year, and now I know my new favorite holiday (okay, maybe third favorite). It's actually a Canadian holiday, but who cares!? I mean, it's celebrating Victoria, my most favorite queen. Most people know, I am a little obsessed with the Victorian Era. It's kind of embarrassing actually. Big beautiful dresses, the manners, the interest in humanities, the dances, the music--oh, how I would have loved it (of course, I am ignoring the fact that it was more common to work in some factory and be deprived of all such luxuries of life).

From a Castle in England (I can't even remember which one sadly)

However, I still think living during 1837-1901 (Queen Victoria's reign) would have been quite fascinating, especially considering it's my favorite era of literature. Hand me a long Dickens or Eliot novel, and I am in heaven. I know some say that the moral at the end of such Victorian novels is didactic, but I find literature that teaches the difference between right and wrong, showing the consequences of both choices, refreshing--especially living in a world where most want to say that morality and goodness are all relative. Thank goodness for the Victorians who took a stand, even if many in that time did struggle with their own moral choices.

Reading novels in London

Now, back to my favorite queen. If you want to learn about a queen was devoted to her country, her husband, her family, and in the morals of all of the above, Queen Victoria is your queen. Her story is fascinating. She reigned for such a long time, how could she not have influence on her people? She reigned for 63 years and 7 months!

I could go on and on, but I doubt most anyone reading this would really care much :) For those who DO want to know more, watch Young Victoria (the film that came out a couple of years ago) or BBC's Victoria and Albert. While you learn about her incredible history, you will swoon at the love story of Victoria and Albert :) In fact, she loved him so much that when he died, she wore black for the rest of her life--a little morbid, I know, but what a dedicated queen!

Kensington Palace-Where Queen Victoria grew up (I lived next to this on Study Abroad)

This is a statue of Albert, Victoria's husband--He was such a good prince!

Finding out there is actually a Victoria Day, today, I had to throw a Victoria Party so I did! I invited the girl family members over last week and we feasted on food while watching the love story of Young Victoria.

Here's my attempt at a Victorian centerpiece. I had to pull out my old antique Victorian novels (some of my favorite possessions)

Here's the very unrefined spread of food (since when is cheese dip and guacamole reminiscent of the Victorians?) Oh well . . . that's what happens when work gets busy. . .

The point is we had fun celebrating, visiting, and watching the movie. This may become a tradition, but next time I want to make it more tea partyesque.

Happy Victoria Day!

3 comments:

  1. Katie- I love it! I will ALWAYS think of you whenever I hear a reference to Queen Victoria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto! Thanks for the heads up on Victoria Day! She's definitely been my favorite female politician ever since I've seen "The Young Victoria." My favorite part is when her adviser convinces her to include Prince Albert in her affairs instead of taking on the burden by herself. It's such a contrast from Margaret Thatcher in "The Iron Lady" I saw last week, who seemed to separate from her family with the more power she achieved.

      Delete
  2. Love the "nerdy" blog post! You are fun.

    ReplyDelete