Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Y

I remember that it was lunch time; I was awaiting my mom's phone call, knowing that the letter of acceptance or rejection would arrive any day now. I had little hope I would get in. I had not tested well on the ACT, even after doing the ACT prep course, CD, and taking the ACT itself three times. Because I had gone to three high schools in three states in three years, I didn't have a chance to involve myself in musicals, clubs, or AP classes because I would always miss deadlines. I did have a few awards, good grades, honor classes, and lots and lots of choir/singing participation, but that did not seem "enough" for BYU, and you know what, it probably wasn't. My cell phone, which at the time could only be used in situations like that, started chanting it's song, and I knew the moment of truth had arrived. Where would I go for the next four years of my life?

Rushing home, I wondered what my fate would be. I quickly ran into the doorway, my mom handed me a package, and she was right by my side as I tore open the large white envelope. I read the first sentence that had the word "congratulate," and I felt a wave of relief rush over me. It seemed too good to be true. Was I really good enough to go to a school known for its populace of "smart people"? I started crying. My mom started crying. We both knew that the only reason I had gotten in was that was exactly where I needed to be.

I remember the anticipation of finding out who my roommate was and knowing I wouldn't know many others who would go to BYU. I knew I would be hundreds of miles away from my parents in Washington, and I wondered how it would all go. I felt like I had no idea what to expect. I'll never forget my first day leaving my parents at the airport, who couldn't come with me because they were on their mission, arriving in SLC where my sweet grandma had forgotten where she parked, wandering around the parking lots at the airport for two hours, finally arriving at DT, unpacking all my things, and being alone in that bare cinder block wall room. Most others had their parents helping them get settled in for their first year of college away from home, and I felt kind of homesick that first day, wishing my parents could experience those first couple days with me.

Soon enough, girls started knocking on doors and getting to know each other. Most of us were in the same boat: out of state, not knowing many, and for the first time in our lives, on our own. Friendships were quickly formed and we became each other's home away from home. So many of my friends stemmed from that freshmen year where we all were looking out for one another.
There were many amazing things that happened to me at BYU: I miraculously received good grades even though my test taking skills were less than most; I was able to participate in a couple of Relief Society presidencies that strengthened my testimony and love for others; I established my independence; I had amazing job opportunities; I developed wonderful friendships with many of my professors; I was able to go so many devotionals and CES Firesides to watch and see apostles speak and teach LIVE; and I was able to get involved and serve. Out of all those wonderful, life-changing opportunities, the thing that I loved the most was being surrounded by such good, inspiring friends who made me want to be better. I had never been surrounded by that many good examples in my life. I couldn't have asked for better friends and roommates there. At first, knowing so many amazing, smart, beautiful, athletic, musical, and sweet people was intimidating, and it made just about every freshmen want to join the "BYU--Where Your Best Hasn't Been Good Enough Since 1875" Facebook group. After that phase passed, I realized. . .I am so lucky to learn from so many talented people! The people are what made my memories. Here are some memories with them that remind me why I loved BYU:
I have too memories to count with Erica at BYU. 
Before a dance with friends and roommates-- I loved going to dances in those days. 
A wonderful group of friends I found Senior year. 
 My roommates my senior year in front of our apartment--such cute girls!
My real first experience with snow happened at BYU, and us girls from CA were fascinated!

Decorating our apartment
Family Home Evening groups--always so fun. 

Attending and watching many dear friends find their eternal companion and setting good examples.

 
BYU football games (this was my first one with my roommate, Amy)
Wonderful uplifting conversations (many with Caring Carrie :)
Dear friends and family supporting me as I presented a paper I wrote at a Literary Conference.

Going to delicious places like the creamery with friends 

Erica. Again. Seriously, when Ben and I were walking around campus Saturday I told him that when I think of BYU campus I think of Erica. We had so many of the same classes, went to every devotional together, had lunches together, and have the same birthday (irrelevant but still amazing).

Once most of my friends were married/on missions, I found an amazing group of older friends who I needed so much at that time in my life. So, naturally, we became roommates. 

I learned so much from being a part of two amazing relief society presidencies (one freshmen year with Sheree and one my senior year).
 
I went on the most amazing St. George road trip ever

Then it was time to graduate (with the dearest of friends).

Graduation was hard for me (you can tell just by looking at my tired, sad eyes it this picture). I didn't want to leave. But I knew I had to. BYU was a place where I had learned so much spiritually, emotionally, and academically. It was hard work, and even though I loved it, there were still many hard times. For whatever reason, BYU was the place I needed to learn and grow in. I knew that for me, my BYU experiences were so special to me, and if I had just stayed there to work some non-fulfilling job just so I could hang around Provo, it would be a rude awakening for me, and BYU would no longer be the same place I had dreamed it up to be. So I left. That time it was for a different kind of adventure, and one that was harder than my BYU adventure but much needed.  

I remember my freshmen year my religion teacher told us "Every time you get discouraged about being here, look up at the Y, and think to yourself 'Why are you here?'" 

Now I can look back and see the "why" BYU had in my life. And that "Y" has shaped who I am today. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! You were one of the best roommates ever. Love you Katie!

    ReplyDelete