Monday, July 23, 2012

Texas is Lucky

Goodbye is an impossible word to use with some people.

 Erica Olsen is one of those people. She has been one of my dearest friends for the past few years. We met in August of 2005 in the dorms (DT) freshmen year. ( I can't believe that was seven years ago!)  We lived on the same floor, a few doors down, and had many classes together. To top it off, we found out we had the same birthday, and immediately became fast friends.  

Here we are as freshmen on the way to a BYU game. 

As sophomores
As juniors at her orchestra concert (she plays the violin beautifully)

As almost seniors at their open house. Russ and Erica are a perfect couple. 
And this is me with her sweet daughter Mackenzie who was only a couple weeks old at the time of this picture. 
Ogden fun with little Mackenzie
And here we are a couple of weeks ago at the Real Salt Lake game. 

There have been very few consistencies in my life over the last seven years, but Erica has always been there for me despite moves, getting married, and having a sweet little girl. In fact, we had the same major at BYU, worked together at BYU's Special Collections, went to every devotional together, and were constantly getting together and having Bobella's (secret code). Erica remembers everything about everyone; she is the most amazing listener; she is also the most organized person I know; we talk about books together; she can tell me if I will like something or not, and she is always right; these are just a few of the reasons why I love Erica Olsen.

Even more than that, she is one of the most loyal people I know. And now, Erica, Russ, and Mackenzie are moving to Texas for Russ' job. I am excited for their new adventure and that Erica can spend time with her family (she is a true Texan) and Denise (her best friend whom I have adopted), but I am going to miss them so much! Mackenzie will grow up so much when they're gone! She is the sweetest little girl. The last few years she has been in Draper, and I have been in Ogden, but every few months we still get together, and when we don't, we talk on the phone. I have loved just knowing Erica is somewhat near, just in case, and it will be sad for me to see her move thousands of miles away. I am just grateful we have technology like we do today so we can keep in touch. And I will have to settle for that until I can have an Erica-hug again :)  

Texas, you are sure lucky to have the Olsen's. Treat them kindly!

2 comments:

  1. You are the best, Katie! I miss you already :( Next time we get together it's bobella time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a sweet post. I promise to take good care of her! I'm just excited that you and Ben have a really good reason to come visit Texas! Seriously, hurry and get down here...it's been too long since I've seen you.

    ReplyDelete