Tuesday, May 21, 2013

What I learned from Nose Surgery

Yes, I had a nose job, but it's not what you are thinking--promise! It was the inside of my nose that got reworked, not the outside! I have had lots of breathing/sinus/cold problems since, well, forever.

When I was twelve, they thought it was my tonsils, so they removed those. Then I was told I have athletic-induced asthma, even though I have never had an asthma attack....Then I was told I must have allergies. I have had those tested out twice, and I apparently have minor allergies but not enough to provoke the level of congestion I usually had. I finally went to an ENT who did a CAT scan of the inside of my nose, turns out--the inside of my nose had abnormally narrow passageways and swollen turbinates (I still don't even know what that means). My adenoids (in the back of my throat) were swollen as well--so the consensus was...."septum reconstruction/turbinate reduction/adenoid removal surgery." Honestly, I don't even know what it all means....still...other than that I should be able to breathe better, recover from my colds faster than the month they usually last (because they had no where to go in my nose), and "my quality of life would be enhanced"--direct quote from my amazing doctor. So I went in for my inner nose reconstruction last Thursday, yipee! And I learned a few things from the whole experience....

  1. If you ask the nurse the day before your surgery if you have to wear a hospital gown, she will laugh. One of my worst fears came true, and I had to wear one...but it was more comfy than I supposed.
  2. I can't look at the IV. I just can't. It weirds me out thinking fluid is going into me through my hand. I don't care what the nurse said; I know that when she was tapping my vein to "tell it hello," that was not what she was doing!
  3. Morphine makes me cry. I woke up from the surgery balling because....I don't know why.
  4. Percocet makes me sick to my stomach. 
  5. Ben and my mom take great care of me, even when I am acting crazy.
  6. Wearing a taped, masked, beak thing over and below your nose for a few days is really annoying.
  7. Blowing your nose is the best thing ever. I wish I could blow my nose right now; however, I have to wait two weeks to blow, even though it has been draining grossness constantly for days. So appreciate blowing your nose while you can!!
  8. I'll be honest, I thought surgery would be kind of fun because then I could relax, watch movies, and do things I never get to do in my typical day; in reality, I was too miserable to enjoy movies, relaxing, or anything at all really.
  9. Telling people you are having "nose surgery" can be awkward--I repeat, it really wasn't a nose job on the outside, just the inside!
  10. Doctors and nurses are amazing and deal with gross things that I can't handle. at. all. My surgeon/doctor called me every day for three days after the surgery to check up on me--talk about amazing!
  11. Friends and family are so kind and thoughtful! Everyone has been so sweet to brighten my day! Even some of my Laurels came by to check on me and visit! Texts, phone calls, meals, flowers, and treats has been a wonderful reminder to me how blessed I am to have wonderful people around! Thank you!
 11. Flower deliveries are one of the happiest things ever! I have never had flowers delivered to my door in my life (a secret wish I always have had), and Ben's parents and aunt delivered a beautiful flower basket the day after surgery--and it made me so happy! I had Ben move it to the mantle so I could see it from "my couch." Then yesterday my work delivered a yellow flower arrangement! I have the best boss ever and work with amazing people! Opening the door and seeing a surprise delivery is one of the happiest things ever!

 12. All in all, surgery taught me to be grateful for smart and caring doctors, amazing moms, brilliant husbands, caring friends, delicious meals, beautiful flowers, wonderful people, and blowing my nose!

1 comment:

  1. I've been shadowing in the hospital a lot--so I can picture everything you are saying right now! I hope your nose issues get better! I can relate--I have constant sinus issues but I don't know if I'm willing to go through surgery to fix them!

    ReplyDelete