Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Cultivating Craftiness

Crafts have always scared me. I'll be honest. I have had too many experiences with people teaching me crafts who get impatient and frustrated with my lack of skill, creativity, perfectionism, and overall slowness, so I get nervous in a craft-setting. 

Last week a wonderful neighbor told me to bring the blocks I won at our Relief Society Service Auction to her house with some other friends to decorate them with mod podge, glitter, colored paper, and ribbon. With some trepidation, my natural reaction to crafts, I went over and ended up having loads of fun, and found out some things about myself and crafts. 

1) I love doing crafts where being perfect isn't everything (sewing seems to be too precise for me). 
2) Patient craft teachers make the world of difference. 
3) I love crafts that don't require super finite skills (I seem to have a hard time controlling my hands when there are teeny details). 
4)I love how easy mod podge is!

Here was the result:


I must say I keep looking at it on my mantle and think, "Did I really do that!?" I know it's not perfect, but it sure makes me happy :) and I am feeling a little more confident in some crafting abilities! 

It's amazing how you can be twenty five and still be learning about yourself!
(I am sure I will say this in twenty years...)

No comments:

Post a Comment