Monday, September 17, 2012

Whirlwind Weekends

The past few weeks have flown by, and I can't believe it's mid September. Fall is by far my most favorite season: the leaves, the crisp air, the smells of nutmeg and cinnamon are all reasons I love fall.

Ben and I have been out of town every Friday/Saturday since August 24th and will be, other than one, until October 19th! We are having lots of fun though :)

Here's some brief catching up through photos--

Ben left me flowers one very tiring evening :) 

I found some new plastic placemats from Wal-Mart that matched our cloth ones, and I found this Walmart cheap candle pumpkin centerpiece, which is very fall festive when all lit up :)

I made mini chicken pot pie muffins (very filling), and this is a new favorite recipe!

Two weekends ago we were invited to go to the Utah State vs. U of U football game and then to Ben's boss's cabin in Bear Lake with some of Ben's co-workers. 


Even though I am not athletic at all, I forget how much I love watching an intense, close football or basketball game and having the team I am rooting for WIN. 


I get too emotionally invested. I really shouldn't watch. But when the Aggies won in overtime (I will rally for any in-Utah team against the U), I was elated, overjoyed, and oh so happy. 


Utah State has some of the funnest fans, besides BYU of course, that I have ever seen! 

Straight from the game we went to the cabin in Bear Lake with Ben's co-workers and had a relaxing time up there:


The view from their cabin!

fall :)


Bear Lake

After our fun, busy weekend and a wonderful stake conference, I enjoyed this week of going up to Heber everyday to help with food and clean up for a company meeting, working a total of 55 hours this week--on my feet the entire time. It was fun but exhausting, and now that it's all over I feel like I can catch up on normal life. Ben and I were also able to spend Friday and Saturday with my parents in Heber.

Saturday I did something daring.


Katie

went on an ATV excursion with Ben and my dad,

and I rode on the back of Ben's 4-wheeler for

4

hours

For me, this was a LONG time for an adventure of climbing up steep rocky terrain clinging to Ben on an ATV, but the landscape made it all worth it. I never knew that forty minutes east of my family's cabin there are some of the prettiest landscapes I have ever seen. 

My dad 

Beautiful country

I was unexpectedly surprised at how much fun I was having. 

Because when you see a meadow that looks like this,

You want to stay there forever

Two very important men in my life

What some of the trails looked like

Yellow

Gold





This is when I was driving on the "flat roads" for seven minutes...or something like that...

This lake was our destination

I am glad I trust Ben because otherwise I would have been terrified. 

It's amazing how Heavenly Father places us at the right place at the right time. We were in the middle of no where and were about to cross a stream when we saw a cowboy (the legitimate boots, leg things, hat and shirt) sitting in the middle of the stream looking kind of dazed. My dad asked if he was enjoying cooling himself off, and he didn't say anything. Then two men came running his way and asked if we had any medical experience--sadly, no--and they asked if we could stay and assist, luckily one was an EMT, because this 20 year old cowboy in the water had just broken his leg after being bucked off a mule. The other two cowboys had to go put the spooked horses away before they could help him. So Ben and my dad helped elevate his leg while they had to straighten it out for circulation. It looked so bad and so painful. Basically, his leg did not look how a lower leg and ankle should look. Ben had scissors on his pocket knife so they were able to cut his boot off so that they could put it in a splint. The four of them were then able to lift him from the river into the truck and give him a blessing to get him to the hospital ASAP. Although these were tiny miracles, like scissors, there was no doubt that we were supposed to be there at that exact time. 

We have had some crazy weeks lately, and we have more to come but we are loving the experiences we have been able to have. 


No comments:

Post a Comment