Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Washington Road Trip

Here are 10 of my most favoritest things from our Labor Day trip to the Tri-Cities, Washington (where I graduated from high school and where my dad served as mission president). I hadn't been back since Christmas 2006:


  1. Roadtrip fun--Going on our first long road trip together. As you can see, Ben had some extra long licorice, and we ate treats we never usually buy, because they tempt us at home, and listened to music and the first Harry Potter CD--I am probably one of the only people on this planet who graduated with a Masters of English and never had read Harry Potter. It was actually very well written and whoever did the voices on the audio was amazing. Basically, the road trip probably equaled half of our whole adventure in terms of the all together 18 hour drive (there and back). 

2. Hotel Surprise--We stopped in Boise on the first night so we wouldn't be driving until the wee hours of the next day. We had arranged for the cheapest hotel, which we were expecting to be not so nice, but it had just been revamped and was way nicer than anticipated, with it's own separate sectional couch area! It was fun to get to know Boise better, eat Five Guys, and watch Van Dyke shows on Ben's IPAD in our surprisingly nice room~ 



3. Showing Ben--Ben and I got up early Saturday morning and made our drive into the Tri-Cities (it's really three cities--Kennewick, Richland, and Pasco with three major rivers underneath roads and high ways. They all kind of blend together so people often just refer to them as the tri-cities. I lived in Richland right on the border of Kennewick, though.) It was so fun to show Ben how there is nothing surrounding the Tri-Cities except desert, but the Tri-Cities is it's own oasis of blossoming businesses, recreation, and fun. One thing I loved about the Tri-Cities is how everything you ever needed was right there since there is nothing of significance, unless you count Walla Walla onions, in about a two-three hour radius. I showed Ben the mission home where we had lived, the temple, and my old high school. He finally can visualize my home town (He has officially now seen all three of my home towns). 

4. Reuniting--We first off went to see Amber, who is the main reason we went on our trip. (See post titled "I Have Been Changed for Good). It was so fun to see her after 18 months! We immediately sang, danced a bit, and had some fun reuniting with the Haueter family. The Haueter family was so generous to us the whole trip, feeding us the best rolls on earth and chicken pot pie. Amber and I have not lived near each other for years, but we manage to see each other about once a year and talk on the phone--other than her mission, obviously :) I love how whenever Amber and I reunite, it's like no time has passed. Oh, how I have missed her! She always helps bring out the "yellow" (color code) side of me. Then it was temple time :) 


5. The temple--The Columbia River Temple could be seen from the mission home my family lived in. In fact, it was only three blocks away. So Amber, Ben and I got to go! It was fun to see some old good family friends inside the temple and feel of its wonderful spirit. Amber and I used to walk around talking about getting married there, and I loved being inside with Ben and Amber--it was like my life was coming full circle. 







Amber brings out the silliness in me--I love it :)

6. Eating at Sharis--Okay, so Sharis is pretty much like Denny's, but since it's a tradition we had to eat there. And we had too much fun. And food. The end. 

7. Singing and dancing with Amber--Senior year of high school Amber and I would sing and dance in her family room for hours, and many times her parents would record us and watch us; well, it was like nothing had changed when we did our singing and dancing with the Haueters and Ben watching and laughing with us as we did our silly moves and sang in harmony. I have so missed this with Amber. 

8. Swing talks--Amber and I spent so many hours talking on her back porch swing about life, the future, and analyzing everything. We did the same both Saturday and Sunday night. I love her words of wisdom, and I loved hearing all about her mission. 


9. Sunday Walks--After church in my old ward (so neat to go back to and hear Amber teach gospel doctrine), Ben and I went back to our very cheap hotel to take a walk. Although this hotel was very, very old, we had a river view as shown, and there was a path all along the river. This was one of my favorite parts of the trip. Ben and I walked for about an hour and a half and just talked while looking at the beautiful views. 


Ben was such a good sport to come with me to the Tri-Cities for our vacation spot (although beautiful, it's not exactly a tourist destination). 


10. Tender Mercies--All together, I loved this trip because it reminded me how inspired it was for my family to be sent to the Tri-Cities for my parents' mission because it changed all our lives. Even though I only lived there my senior year and the summer after freshmen year at BYU, my experiences there changed my life. Amber has been such a life-changing friend, the people there taught me so much, and when my dad found out about his cancer and that they had to leave the mission three days after the sudden news, those dear, kind Saints helped my family in more ways than could be counted. Heavenly Father knew my family and our needs, and the Tri-Cities was an answer to so many prayers. 

I don't know when I'll be back again, but I know the Tri-Cities will remain in my heart forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment